Yesterday was my 80th birthday. Not much is different in a year, except COVID variants and vaccines. Otherwise, same old News a year later. How likely is that?
I was watching CBC National News at 10:00 PM yesterday. We probably watched it on my birthday last year and the year before that as well.
Now go back to the year 1941 on April 14, the day I was born. Back then, if you had guessed, how likely I was to be watching CBC National News at 10:00 PM on my 80th birthday, you would have said not so likely. Back then there was no such thing as TV, and I had maybe a 50% chance of making it to 80.
Now go back to July, 1940. What then were the chances of me watching CBC National News at 10:00 PM on April 14, 2021. Hard to say, but the sperm from which I came was in a race with a hundred million others, and I became improbable winner.
You get the drift. We could go back through 3 billion years of evolution of life on earth and another 10 billion years of stellar evolution since the Big Bang. At the beginning, the probability that the universe would produce Dennis watching CBC National News at 10:00 PM on his 80th birthday was vanishingly small. Nobody would have bet on it.
And yet here I am.
It's a miracle.
I'm a miracle.
You too.
Life is improbably good.
For a moment I didn't notice.
For a moment I didn't notice.

No comments:
Post a Comment